Saturday, June 2, 2012

the moment I felt like a "real" runner

This morning somewhere along the way during my run, the thought crossed my mind "HEY!  I'm like a real runner!"

Which is kind of weird, because I've BEEN running for almost a year and a half now.  I think the difference today for me was that I went out and ran just for the joy of running.  I ran because it was Saturday morning and it's my favorite time to run.  I ran because the weather was too gorgeous NOT to run.  I didn't run because a training calendar told me so.  I didn't run a specific number of miles because I had to.  I didn't try to keep a certain pace. 

I just ran.

I am becoming the person I never thought I'd be.  I never saw myself looking forward to getting up at 6am on a Saturday and running miles and miles before most people are awake.  Especially crazy because I begin marathon training on Monday and this really was my last Saturday morning to sleep in for the next 4 1/2 months.  But I checked the forecast before bed last night and saw it was going to be 50, sunny, and NO wind at 7am.  It doesn't get much better than that!

I did 7.1 miles at a 10:59 pace.  It was a perfect pace and a perfect run. 

OH!  AND, I wore a running skirt for the very first time.  There are lots of opinions out there about them.  Some scoff because the point of running isn't to try to look cute.  Some love them because they are super comfy AND what's wrong with feeling happy about how you look when you run?

I picked up a cheapy at Target because I didn't know which camp I fell into.  I figured I could go either way and I didn't want to spend a fortune if I ended up hating it.

I.LOVED.IT.

Haters gonna hate, but that running skirt is the MOST comfortable piece of running attire I own.  And I'm not going to lie, I looked pretty dang good in it too.  Something about the shape of it made my legs look phenomenal when I saw them in window reflections.  I'm sold!  Can't wait to buy more of them!!  Oh, and even though it's from Target, it was actually pretty well made.  No chafe concerns, no complaints.  The shorts that line the skirt crept up just a little, but not uncomfortably so.  Might be a problem on a long run, but no problems during my 7 miler.  Best part is that the skirt was only $14!!  So awesome!

Here's some pictures of my awesome run.  I ran along the river on trails I don't normally use.  Nice change of pace :)

1 comment:

  1. So cool to know they sell running skirts at Target! I will try to pick one up...I've been looking at them online, but they're so expensive! I didn't want to drop more than $50 on one if I wouldn't know how I'd like it. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete