Monday, July 9, 2012

Heatwaves and near-fainting fun. Week 5 summary!

5 weeks behind me and 12 ahead of me.  Training is just zipping along!

Hal told me to do THIS:
Monday- rest
Tuesday- 3 miles
Wednesday- 5 miles
Thursday- 3 miles
Friday- rest
Saturday- 10 miles
Sunday- Cross train

This is what I did:
Monday- mostly rested.  I did ride my bike about 4 miles.  Hubby had his gall bladder removed that day and he had driven himself to the hospital, so I rode my bike over there and drove him home.  It was about 95 and humid that day, so even 4 miles felt gross!  No Monday night bike ride because it was way too hot!

Tuesday- 3.02 miles at a 10:20 pace.  Was up early to try to run before it got too hot, but it was already 74 degrees around 7am.  It was still a pretty good run though!

Wednesday- 5.05 miles at a 10:26 pace.  The heat continued.  I woke up at 6am and it was already almost 80 degrees.  At 7:30 when I started my run it was about 82 degrees, sunny, and humid.  It was a hard run, but I managed to keep a good pace.

Thursday- 3.01 miles at a 9:48(!!!) pace.  Glorious run in 60 degree weather.  Amazing how great 60 feels after choking on the humidity for a few days in a row.  I intended on taking this run easy, but my run started fast and since I was feeling good, I just kept it up!  My first mile was a 8:59 pace!

Thursday night I did my usual bike ride.  36.04 miles.  I think the heat and training caught up with me, because I was tired before the ride even began.  We took a longer route than normal and I struggled.  I think I was a little dehydrated because I drank both of my bottles of water well before the ride was over.  The weather wasn't overly hot- maybe about 90 degrees, but not humid at all.  Anyway, I was tired, but otherwise I felt okay.  Weirdly though, when we finished our ride, we were all standing outside the bike shop and all of a sudden I felt the blood rush out of my head, I got really woozy and started seeing spots.  I was sweaty but cold.  For a second I thought I was going to fall over.  In hindsight, I probably should have sat down, but instead I stood there straddling my bike and trying not to pass out.  It was crazy!  I drank some Gatorade and felt a little better.  We biked a mile over to Erika's house and had some snacks and I felt much better!

Friday- "rest."  I use quotations because I took the kiddos to a water park in Grand Forks and spent the afternoon chasing them around and going down waterslides.  It did not feel very restful!  It was fun, but was I ever tired by the end of the day!

Saturday- 10:01 miles at a 11:25 pace.  The plan was to meet Stacie at 7am... so I had set my alarm the previous night for 5:45a.  My usual Saturday long run routine is to wake up early, relax, drink coffee, eat some toast, and get my brain ready to run long.  That SO didn't happen this week!  I set my alarm incorrectly and it didn't go off when it was supposed to...so I WAY overslept till 6:45a!  I frantically texted Stacie and let her know I was going to be late and then ran around the house like a crazy woman trying to get ready to go.  I hate hate hate oversleeping and it throws off my entire day.  I was nervous that it was going to screw with my run because I was in a crabby mindset!
It actually ended up being a fantastic run!!  It was about 65 degrees at the start of the run and very little wind.  We went out with the plan to keep a similar pace to last week (last week we did our 9 miles at a 11:35 pace).  I felt great through the entire run and really the only complaint I had by the end was a blister on my right big toe and a little chafing on my shoulder from a bra strap.  By the end it was pretty warm (around 75 degrees), but it didn't bother me much.  We even ran the last two miles at 11:04 and 10:56, which was faster than the 11:30 we were aiming for.  It was definitely a confidence-boosting run!

Sunday- Absolutely nothing.  Sat around most of the day.  I probably needed that.  :)


It was a great week of training!  This week is a step-down week, so the long run is only 7 miles!  Woo!!  We will be in Minneapolis for the weekend, so I will get to do my long run there!  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment