Saturday, August 27, 2011

Running is supposed to be fun!

As I sit here sulking about all the runs I had to sit out this last week, I am trying to convince myself not to take this so seriously. I mean, seriously, who would have thought that I would ever be sad about skipping a 10 mile run? Teresa one year ago certainly wouldn't have lost any sleep over it (though to be fair, Teresa one year ago was hugely pregnant and rockin some pretty sweet cankles). 

Now, instead of resting my cankles, I've been busy this week resting regular sized ankles that hurt like crazy.  Truly, I have a variety of aches and/or pains below my right knee.  Some minor shin pain, some minor calf muscle pain, and some moderate ankle pain.  I'm not really sure what is all going on down there, but I messed something up somehow.  I tried to run twice earlier in the week and came away with about a mile from each run.  I had hoped my ailments would be ailing me less this morning so I could do my long run, but to no avail.

At the suggestion of one of my friends, I am trying the homeopathic route to speed along the healing process.  I am not typically a believer in homeopathic remedies, but at this point, I'm willing to give it a shot... it makes me feel like I am actively doing something rather than this very passive "resting."  We picked up some Arnica Montana (not to be confused with Hannah Montana, which is what I keep thinking of when I say it).  There are different types and strengths of this remedy.  We got the "30C" pellets and the topical ointment.  I've only used it once today, so I can't say whether or not it's helpful yet (will keep you posted!).

But, onto the FUN!  In addition to the half marathon that I'm running in October (if my ankle doesn't explode in the meantime), there are a couple of really fun events I am planning on running in the month of October!

First up, on October 15, is the Filthy 5k.  I've heard that this run is a blast!  Beyond Running, a local running store, organizes this event.  It is a muddy trail run, where the point is to run, get dirty, and have a great time!  It seems like it's pretty non-competitive, though there are prizes I believe for those who finish in the top (I never have to concern myself with those details- lol).  I'm talking a lot of my friends into doing this run!

The other run I plan on doing is the Grey Ghost Run, which is a 5k event held in conjunction with the Anoka Halloween events (Anoka, MN is my hometown and is also the Halloween Capital of the World...don't believe me? read HERE).  The Grey Ghost is held just before the Grande Day Parade and is run along the parade route.  Obviously, being this is a Halloween event, runners dress in costume!  Usually I HATE costumes, but I will make an exception this time. 

So as I am fretting about my injured ankle and whether or not I will be able to run the half marathon, I have a couple of easy fun runs to look forward to after the half.  I didn't start running to add to my stress... I started to lose my fat pregnancy ass have fun! 

I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend!  Run a mile or two (or ten) on my behalf!

1 comment:

  1. You should've recruited ME for the Filthy 5K! That sounds like a blast and I totally would've come up for it! Next year, I guess. ;)

    What is your costume going to be for the Grey Ghost? I think i might bail on the cosume idea & just wear black pants w/an orange zip up hoodie.

    ReplyDelete